Friday, 11 October 2013

How-To Friday's - Wax Resist

Today I wanted to talk about using wax or crayons as a resist. It’s a great technique to reserve the white of the paper when using the clear wax. When using crayons you can get some vibrant colours in your painting. You definitely need to plan your painting out and know where you want to place the wax. Once you have put the wax on the paper, it is there to stay.

I thought I had found a video that, by the title, fit my criteria. Sad to say, it did not. The artist was using Misket and kept calling it wax – these are not the same thing. In addition to referring to the Misket as a wax resist, the artist dried it using a hair dryer. NEVER do this; you run the risk of bonding it to your paper.

I did find a demo using wax on Yupo paper. I have not tried this paper yet, but I do believe it would be a little harder to work with as I don’t think it absorbs the paint in the same manner as watercolour paper. Regardless, the demo is a good one.

It is presented by Yevgenia Watts; Bell Peppers.

Here is also a good tutorial on the wax and crayon.

This is one of my paintings I did using crayons.

5 comments:

Magic Love Crow said...

I love the way your painting turned out Chris! Beautiful! Happy Thanksgiving ;o)

Kathleen said...

Wow - that came out really neat, Chris! I haven't tried the Yupo paper yet, either, but I understand that it is a very slick surface.

Kathleen said...

Wow - that came out really neat, Chris! I haven't tried the Yupo paper yet, either, but I understand that it is a very slick surface.

Ayala Art said...

I like it! very "fall".
I have to say, I do not like yupo... I tied a couple of times and it feels like plastic to me!

Pam of alwaysartistic said...

I have done some melted crayon art and love it... just a lot to clean up. Your painting is beautiful!