Sunday, 3 February 2008

Synchronicity

Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events which occur in a meaningful manner, but which are causally un-related. In order to be synchronous, the events must be related to one another conceptually, and the chance that they would occur together by random chance must be very small.

Has this ever happened to you? Well on Friday in one of the groups I belong to, it happened not once, but twice! I then switch to another group and there it was again! This time it appeared in the form of our monthly project. For out February mini-project it was suggested we do something calm/meditative or intense/colourful. The day before this mini-project was announced I visited the blog of Nita Leland (an excellent site by the way). Nita is a watercolourist. One of her entries was about the use of contrast, pure hue. I had decided to try that.

And there it was - my deciding to do a work with pure hue and the February mini-project of intense and colourful.

So thanks to these synchronous events I have the painting below. I took a painting that I had already done and reworked it using pure hue. Both the original and the reworked paintings are below. I doubt you will have trouble determining which the pure hue, intense, colourful one is. Both are watercolour on 140lb cold press paper.

1 comment:

Faye said...

How wonderful! And isn't it amazing what a difference one can get from the same picture, using different colors?